Free Initial Telephone Consultation 914-979-2743
Free Initial Telephone Consultation
Personal Attention From An Attorney Who Places You And Your Family First
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Immigration
  4.  » Permanent Residency (U.S. Green Card)

Guiding Individuals And Families Through Permanent Residency (U.S. Green Card) Matters

At the Law Office of Donald H. London Esq. we assist foreign nationals entering the United States secure nonimmigrant visas or permanent residence status through a green card.

Assisting Clients Across The Tri-State Area Secure Permanent Residency

Differing from nonimmigrant visas — which have restrictions on the amount of time an individual can stay in the U.S. — a green card allows individuals to live and work in the U.S. indefinitely. By applying with the USCIS, an applicant may receive lawful permanent residence through:

  • Employment sponsorship: There are multiple steps to securing employment sponsorship requiring the participation of both the employer and the applicant. The first step is for the employer to request a prevailing wage determination (PWD) from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). The employer can then advertise and recruit in the U.S. (there are multiple DOL regulations pertaining to advertising and recruitment that our attorney can outline). If the employer cannot secure a qualified or willing U.S. citizen to take the position, the employer can submit a PERM labor certification application to the DOL. Once the labor certification is approved, the employer and immigrant worker can move forward by filing an I-140 visa petition with the USCIS. Once the petition is approved, the immigrant worker will apply for a green card (if the individual is in the U.S. legally) through an adjustment of status or consular processing (if the individual is overseas). Although this process is time-consuming and complex, attorney London can guide foreign nationals as well as employers through each step.
  • Family sponsorship: U.S. citizens may sponsor immediate relatives to live and work in the U.S. as permanent residents. Those who qualify for sponsorship include: spouses, unmarried children, married children, parents and siblings. Additionally, permanent residents (green card holders) of the U.S. may sponsor spouses and unmarried children for permanent resident status. To begin the process of applying for permanent residence, an I-130 (petition for alien relative) must be submitted to the USCIS by the sponsoring relative (U.S. citizen or permanent resident). Once the petition is approved, Form I-485 (application to register permanent residence or adjust status) will be submitted. There are numerous criteria that must be met for an application to be successful. Our attorney, Donald H. London, can help you and your family understand all requirements during the application process.
  • Annual diversity lottery: The Diversity Immigrant Visa Program provides 50,000 permanent residence visas each year to applicants who are selected at random. These applicants are restricted to countries with historically low rates of immigration to the U.S. The application process is free and is conducted online. There are three requirements to apply: The applicant must be a native of one of the eligible countries; the applicant must have a high school diploma or equivalent; the applicant must have two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring a minimum of two years of relevant training. This application process is highly competitive. Attorney London can explain the requirements and help you complete your application accurately and on time.
  • Qualified investment: The qualified investment visa or EB-5 visa is intended to assist foreign nationals who have invested, or plan to invest, in a commercial enterprise within the U.S. secure permanent resident status. To obtain an EB-5 visa, an applying foreign national must: invest in an qualified existing business or establish a new business in the U.S.; make a minimum investment of $1 million or $500,000 if the investment is within a rural or high-employment area; the business must create 10 full-time positions for U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents; and demonstrate that he or she intends to become a resident by securing a Social Security number, purchasing a residence or meeting other qualifications.

A foreign national may also apply for permanent resident status if he or she qualifies for political asylum/refugee status. To learn more about the qualifications and application process, review the information provided on this website. You can also reach out to our firm and schedule an appointment with attorney London.

Contact Us To Learn More About Permanent Residency

Call our Yonkers, New York, law office at 914-979-2743 or complete our online contact form to schedule a consultation. We work with individuals and families throughout the tri-state area in matters of immigration law.