Consumer Bankruptcy Protection
The decision to file for bankruptcy is often one of the hardest choices that a person has to make in his or her lifetime. Poor planning can make the process more difficult. It goes without saying that filing for bankruptcy should be the last resort, and should only be done when all other methods of resolving financial problems have been exhausted.
However, if your situation has become so severe that you are in danger of foreclosure, are having your wages garnished, or are facing debts that you cannot pay, putting off the inevitable can have devastating consequences. Contacting an experienced bankruptcy lawyer and filing your case in a timely fashion can spare you these losses.
What Are My Options When Faced With Significant Debts?
At the Law Office of Donald H. London Esq., we have handled more than 1,000 consumer bankruptcy petitions. We regularly help people throughout Westchester County and others throughout the region take control of their debt and take the necessary steps toward a fresh financial start. For many, this means exploring options for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
Although there are plenty of misconceptions surrounding bankruptcy, the truth is that for many, bankruptcy is the quickest and most effective method for eliminating debt. When you meet with our attorney, Donald London, during your initial consultation, he will review your circumstances, outline options and explain the benefits and protections bankruptcy can provide:
- If you are close to foreclosure on your home, declaring bankruptcy may stop this from going forward and even create a payment structure that will help you pay off your arrears and keep your home.
- Large medical bills combined with a loss of employment, or on their own can create a nearly impossible financial hole to climb out of. Bankruptcy can help you in this situation and reduce or even wipe away your medical bills.
- Bankruptcy will stop harassing creditors from turning up on your doorstep, especially if they are being unfairly pushy or unreasonable or are fraudulently trying to take more than you owe. This will stop civil actions brought against you by a creditor.
- If your utilities have been shut off, bankruptcy will help restore these so you do not have to live in darkness.
- Although your student loans will not disappear, in most cases bankruptcy may help you to consolidate those debts and pay them off in a reasonable time frame.
- Bankruptcy will end wage garnishment, and unfreeze bank accounts that may have been frozen.
Bankruptcy does not mean that your credit will be ruined forever. It will remain on your report for 10 years. As a practical matter, your credit will be restored within three to four years of your bankruptcy discharge. You will be able to purchase a car/home and other items on credit.
You may have more than one of these issues overlapping in your life. By working together, we can determine if bankruptcy may be the best and most logical way to restart your financial life.
Providing You With Answers, Options And A Road Map To A Fresh Start
Contact our Yonkers, New York, law office and schedule your consultation by calling 914-965-7230 or by completing our online contact form. We offer evening and weekend consultations by appointment, will respond to your calls and emails promptly, and provide Spanish-language services.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.